Sunday, March 11, 2012

It's the Matter

Today I have been thinking about family a great deal.  Family, you love them, yeah?  Particularly your crazy siblings.  Each of them came from the same halves to make a whole, and yet each whole is so very different.   But?  You love them no matter what.  It is true that no one can really make you more frustrated, but it is also true that no one can make you feel so complete.  Growing up my family was very close.  My older brother and I were constantly in trouble (luckily, he almost always took the heat...which is fair...he had the brilliant idea to begin with.) My younger brother and I had the best imaginations, and I might argue that we still do.  (Twin, he is my twin.)  And my sister?  She is my sister.  Little can be said of the relationship one has with their sister.  She is that kindred heart that steals your clothes, and makes you pee your pants laughing.

One may wonder why family?  To begin, family is really all that matters.  To love and be loved, to share emotions and thoughts with another, and have someone do the same with you.  It is true that life takes everyone along very different paths.  
For instance, my big bro is a body builder.  I for one did not see that coming from the string bean, mid-waist pant wearing, socks to the knees little boy I jumped off the roof with.  And yet?  Here he is.  My big, big brother.  Whom I affectionately refer to as Tubby.  :)

Then there is Matt Matt.  The dancer.  The amazing, crazy, fun loving little brother whom I love more than words can express.  I miss him :(  He is halfway around the world on a ship right now, dancing away to crowds of tourists.  My twin :)  
    
Then?  There is my Sissy.  My one and only, Sis.  She and I are so very, very much alike.  She is in another part of the country, striking her own way in a world that often tells you "it can't be done."  She is beautiful, and wonderful, and she is my Sissy :)  

There is something about each of them, something that cannot be defined.  Like I said, two halves of a whole.  Individual in our own ways, and yet strikingly similar.  As it seems, I am sentimental this morning.  As that is, I could go on for a very long time about my family, and not just my own parents, and brothers, and sister.  My own little family.  Cole and Jack.  Growing up we don't really realize what we have in our family.  We find ourselves fighting more than we do laughing, but as age comes, the fighting ceases, and the laughing increases.  With age comes wisdom, or so they say.  I believe it to be true, at least in a way.  I know now what my parents felt watching us grow.  Perhaps not entirely so, but to a degree.  
That's what life is all about anyway, isn't it?  Degrees.  We find wisdom and strength in something, we come to master it, and we move to the next step.  Sometimes we get stuck on a certain step, but patience brings with it vast amounts of experience. 

Wisdom, and learning.  That's what life is about. And that bottom line?  The end all be all?   

Families matter most. 
And that's all that matters. 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment